Friday, November 14, 2014

Food Friday: Sour cream lemon pie

Finishing up this layered sour cream lemon pie.  Yum!

I love everything about Thanksgiving food, except candied yams.  I don't love candied yams. I don't like my stuffing jazzed up.  Traditional stuffing is best for me!  I prefer my pumpkin in pie rather than cheesecake or soufflĂ© and I want it served cold without whipped cream.  I do, however, welcome additional recipes and desserts - especially desserts! Here is my own recipe for a lemon pie that is a hit around the Green Household.  Enjoy!
Sour Cream Lemon Pie

1 ½ C sugar
3 Tbs cornstarch
3 Tbs flour
Dash of salt
1 ½ C water
3 egg yolks – slightly beaten
2 Tbs butter or margarine
1/3 C lemon juice
1 C sour cream
1 baked pastry shell

Combine sugar, cornstarch, flour, and salt.  Gradually stir in water.  Cook in medium saucepan over medium heat until thick and bubbly.  Reduce heat and cook two more minutes – stirring constantly. Remove from heat.  Stir about one cup of hot mixture into beaten yolks.  Combine this with mixture in saucepan and return to a gentle boil.  Cook and stir for two more minutes.  Remove from heat and stir in butter.  Gradually stir in lemon juice.  Divide filling and pour one half into pastry shell.  Allow remaining filling to cool a bit.  Then add the sour cream and beat until combined and smooth.  Spread sour cream mixture over bottom layer of filling.  Allow to cool and then chill in refrigerator prior to serving.

To make things easier still, a graham cracker crust can be used. If desired, do not separate the mixture. Add more sour cream for a completely creamy lemon pie dessert!

Did you miss last week's post about Turkey Salad Sandwiches? Visit my Recipe page to find all my Food Friday posts.

Do you have a Go To recipe for Thanksgiving?  Please tell us about it in the comments below!

Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!


Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment