Thursday, November 6, 2014

Guest Blogger: Karli writes about knowledge


Meet Karli, this week's Guest Blogger.  Karli is a stay-at-home mom and Health Coach with Take Shape for Life.  Doesn't she look great? Read what she has to say about knowledge and how she is applying it to her life.

Have you ever experienced a period of discomfort when you realize something has to change in your life?  Maybe it’s your health, your finances, your attitude, a relationship, or a career move.  That’s been me for the past couple months.  I’m 75 pounds lighter than I was in high school and college and because I’ve been able to basically maintain that loss for a period of over 10 years, I find myself getting pretty comfortable-even arrogant-at times.  But lately I’ve had this nagging feeling.  Because I still recognize and know some areas that need changing, habits that need broken and created, and attitudes that need adjusting. 

I grew up believing that knowledge is power and ignorance is bliss.

I’ve learned over the past several years though, that having knowledge does not equate to having power.  If simply knowing things made us powerful, we would all be unstoppable and none of us would ever struggle with personal weakness.  We would identify a weakness, study up on it, acquire the necessary knowledge about that weakness, and it would suddenly and painlessly become a strength.

We do ourselves a disservice when we say that knowledge is power.  Knowledge is a commodity-we can access and gain it easily.  There is a plethora of information available at our fingertips and it’s easy to learn what we need to know. 

But knowledge isn’t power.  Applied knowledge is power.

Without application, knowledge is worthless.  In fact, I’d rather live in blissful ignorance than to know something that could be helpful to my personal growth and not apply it in my life.  {For instance-it was MUCH more fun to eat an entire pan of lemon bars before I knew what I know now about balanced healthy eating!}

Enter the discomfort I’ve been feeling the past couple months.  I KNOW what I need to do.  I KNOW what needs to change.  I have so much knowledge about all things regarding health that I even coach others on their journey every day….but that knowledge is really nothing to me personally if I’m not willing to actually apply it in my own life. 

So I’ve been making the hard choices.  I’ve been stopping to think about what I really want.  I’ve been challenging myself about why I do certain things or why I resist doing others.  I’ve been choosing activities, habits, and options that will take me toward what I want most instead of what I want now.

And it feels good!  And I’m empowered, because I don’t simply know things, I’m applying the things I know.  THAT is the sweet spot.  That is where the real power lies.

What knowledge are YOU going to apply today?




Karli (:
Follow Karli on her Health Confessions Blog, Facebook, and Instagram: @healthconfessions.

You can also read Karli's Top 3 Fitness Tips

Visit my Guest Blogger Page to get to know all my blogging friends!
Happy Running!
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment