Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Tuesday's Training Tip: Chew some gum


This one might not sound like much of a tip.  In fact, I was skeptical.  When other runners mentioned that they couldn't get along without chewing gum on the run, I thought they were crazy. I was convinced that having a piece of gum in my mouth would present a choking hazard while I was gasping for breath! I don't remember why I decided to give it a try, but I'm glad I did.

Here are the benefits I discovered about chewing gum.
  • It gives your brain another distraction. (See Mental Tricks)
  • The rhythm of chewing helps you settle into a running rhythm.
  • In warm/hot weather gum is the next best thing to water!  It keeps your mouth lubricated and lessens the discomfort of a warm weather run.
  • It tastes good!
I use gum when I am riding a bike for the same reasons I use it on the run, and I have never choked! Give it a try.

Visit this page every Tuesday for more training tips! I would love to hear from you. Comment below or message me on Facebook.

Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!

Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green


Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment