Friday, January 9, 2015

Food Friday: Chicken Tortilla Soup



Readers asked for something healthy, easy, crock pot friendly, and warm.  Naturally, I thought of this recipe for Chicken Tortilla Soup.  It can be ready in minutes on the stove top or warm for hours in the crock pot.  It has lots of fiber, vegetables, lean meat, a pop of flavor and it's colorful!

Chicken Tortilla Soup 

1-2 quarts of stewed tomatoes (I use my own bottled tomatoes) 
1/2 cup diced onion
1 can each of black beans, white northern beans, and red kidney beans
1 - 1 1/2 cups corn (I prefer frozen to canned)
1 - 2 cans of chicken breast (I use my own canned chicken.  More on this in another post!)
Taco seasoning to taste

Bring stewed tomatoes and onion to boil. Drain beans. Add beans, corn, chicken breast and its broth, and taco seasoning. Return to boil. It's that easy! 

If you are using a crock pot simply dump all the ingredients in the crock and let it simmer.

Garnish with your choice of the following:

Avocado slices
Grated cheese
Sour cream
Salsa
Tortilla chips or tortilla strips
(Too many of these can make it not-so-healthy!)

Find more of my favorite recipes HERE.


Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!

Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.



No comments:

Post a Comment