Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Tuesday’s Training Tip: Turn a corner



Today’s tip is a mental trick I use to keep me moving when I want to quit.  I’ve taught it to my middle school cross country runners and it works for them, too.
When I am on a run I choose a landmark and plan to run to that mark before taking a walking break.  I give myself permission to rest when I reach the goal.  It may be a crossroad or a driveway or mailbox.  Rural running offers fields, canals and ditch banks, even a tractor parked in the field that can be used for landmarks. 

Here is the mental trick.  Force yourself to run beyond the landmark – even if it’s only a few steps.  If I have chosen a crossroads or corner as my goal, I run around the corner.  Sometimes I only run ten steps around the corner or beyond the goal.  I often find, however, that I can keep going because I have endured through the difficult part of my run or the scenery has changed and I want to keep going
.
This mental trick can help you in other parts of your life.  If you think you can’t keep going, find a point to rest and then turn the corner. Hang in there a little longer than you thought you could.  Things might get easier!

Tune in every Tuesday for more training tips and visit my Training Tips page to find all the tips you may have missed.
Question: Do you have a training tip you would like to share?


Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!

Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green



Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment