Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Tuesday's Training Tip: Cover new ground



My regular running buddy and I were recently joined by another friend.  Our route was unfamiliar to her and she commented that it kind of made the running easier because she didn’t know where she was going. She was just running. (Or perhaps we were too slow for her!)
Covering new ground can make your route more interesting and tolerable.  During my night run of the Grand Teton Relay 2014, I was all alone.  It was dark and the course was off road, so I had no familiar landmarks.  A few glow sticks were placed along the path, but they were easy to overlook.  I forgot to start my run clock and had no idea how much terrain I had covered until a volunteer shouted, “Turn here!”  I paused, removed my headphones and asked, “How far?”  I thought I had another half mile. When he told me I only had 100 feet I sprinted gleefully to the end!  I was surprised that my run was over.

It can work for you.  Join a friend on her regular routes or research a safe place to run on your next vacation.  You might be surprised how much you can do when you don’t really know what you are doing or where you are going!

Tune in every Tuesday for more training tips and visit my Training Tips page to find all the tips you may have missed.

Question: Do you have a training tip you would like to share?

Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!


Happy Running!



Carol - aka Running Granny Green

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment