Tuesday, February 9, 2016

3 Tips to Begin Running


So you want to be a runner? Bravo! You’ve probably put some thought into this and weighed a lot of pros and cons. Trust me when I tell you that the pros far outweigh the cons. Don’t let the naysayers get you down – and there will certainly be naysayers. Just remember, most of them have never tried to run. A runner will never tell you not to run.  A runner will applaud you, as do I! Here are three tips you’ll need as you begin running.

1 – Get Over Yourself! Worrying about what others are thinking while you are running is fruitless.

 “I don’t want anybody to see me trying to run.” Well, for those of you who are hanging onto this excuse, I have some news for you.  NOBODY is looking at a runner and thinking this … “Boy, that runner sure does look stupid.” Most of them wish they were so brave, motivated and strong … Read More

2 – Get Over Your Fear! Beginning running can be scary, I will admit.  There are so many unknowns.  You might wonder if running is something you should even try.  What if it hurts? What if I’m not very good at it?  What if I don’t love it? Having questions is no reason to avoid trying.  My mother used to tell me, “You’ll never know unless you try.”  Well, I tried and now I know … Read More Excuses

3 – What to Wear. Shoes are the most important piece of equipment for any runner.  You will find that runners spend more time talking about their shoes than their running playlists, favorite smoothie recipes, or even the weather.  You can begin without a fancy new pair, but if you plan to continue running it would be wise to visit a running store and get a good fit.  The right shoes may cost a little more, but they will be worth it and your feet will thank you! Socks will take some experimentation.  Some runners don’t wear any.  Others like them thick. The rest of your attire is up to you. There is no need to purchase a new wardrobe before beginning. Runners can wear anything that keeps them comfortable.  Here are a few ideas …

What are you waiting for? There is no time like the present to begin running. Visit my Training Tips page for more ways to be successful.  If you need a little motivation when the going gets rough, and it will … The Hard Run: Painful Lessons from a Running Granny can help you see the value in the journey.

Best of Luck and …

Happy Running!
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment