Tuesday, February 23, 2016

Tuesday's Training Tip: Find the Joy




Why do you exercise? Is it for the joy, the pure pleasure of the experience? I am a runner. I am not certain I have ever felt the Runners’ High. It eludes me. It might be a myth. I have, however, felt good after a workout. I have felt fantastic while doing other activities because running helps make me strong enough to enjoy them. Hence the phrase, “I don’t love running. Running loves me.” I run to make my life better.

I often find myself dreading the daily run. (Perhaps I should dub it the Sporadic Run because that is often more descriptive.) Recently I flopped down on the living room floor and had a pep talk with myself regarding the reasons I needed to go for a run on that very day. I had to employ my most coercive techniques before I reluctantly agreed that I would feel better after the run than if I lazed away on the sofa for the afternoon. I got off the floor and went for my run and I felt better the rest of the day.

I had a conversation with a couple the other day. I guessed they were in their mid-sixties. Both were in very good physical condition. They mentioned that they go to the gym several days a week. “It’s the best feeling you’ll ever have! And it’s the best $20 you’ll spend all month!” Really?

First - I would like to know the name of that gym that only costs $20 per month! It would be a lot more expensive for me because there is travel involved.

Second – The best feeling in the world is doing something I love with my grandchildren, or maybe eating chocolate! Both of these things are better if I run. I have greater endurance to spend time with my grandchildren, and … well, chocolate consumption has less guilt attached if I run.

For me, the joy usually comes after the run. Sometimes it is immediate as in, “Yay! We’re done!” Often the joy comes when I am doing something different like waterskiing or eating chocolate.

Not all satisfaction or reward in life is immediate. We usually have to wait a time for the payoffs. Exercise is no different. Be patient. Wait for the joy!

Tune in every Tuesday for more training tips and visit my Training Tips page to find all the tips you may have missed.

Question: Do you have a training tip you would like to share? Post it in the comments below.
Happy Running!
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment