Tuesday, December 30, 2014

Tuesday's Training Tip: Take a rest


Believe it or not, athletes and wannabe athletes can benefit from taking a rest.  In fact training plans for any race length from 5K to marathon incorporate rest days into the schedule.  Rest days allow your body to recuperate from the challenges of a training schedule.  I have found that even a short break or rest during a run can sometimes help me run farther.
Catch your breath. A beginning runner, or even an experienced runner adding distance to her routine, can benefit from a short walk break.  For beginners a walk break is a chance to catch your breath and discover that you can recover and run a little farther.  Use these breaks to push yourself that extra half mile.  Next time you run, shorten the break but cover the same distance.
Rejuvenate your muscles. It’s okay to give your muscles a day off.  In fact, rest days may help to prevent injury, especially stress injuries.  If the schedule says to take time off – do it.

Take a brain break. I have found that rest days are as important to my mental commitment as they are to my physical well-being.  When I take time off I miss running and missing something, at least for me makes it all the more appealing. I miss the feeling of accomplishment I get after a good run. I miss the feeling of physical exhaustion and the relaxation of recovery.  I miss my running buddies.

Take a rest.  It’s okay.  In fact, it’s recommended!
(Runners World 10 Signs you need a rest day)
 
Read more about rest days HERE.

Visit this page every Tuesday for more training tips! I would love to hear from you. Comment below or message me on Facebook.

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment