Friday, December 5, 2014

Food Friday: Almond Biscotti


Oh, yum!  It’s that time of year!  Baking, baking, and more baking! This recipe for Almond Biscotti was such a hit last year that I had to begin early.  I was nervous thinking that it might not turn out first go round. (I sometimes have that kind of trouble with seasonal recipes. My Go To cookie recipe is written in my mind and on my heart and it never fails.)  Anyhow, this recipe turned out great!  It comes from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book – my Go To cook book!  You can find it on page 254, along with some variations on the recipe.  Here is the one I used with a couple of subtle changes.

Almond Biscotti
2 ¾ C flour
1 ½ C sugar
1 ½ tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
2 eggs plus 2 egg yolks
6 Tbs melted butter
1 ½ tsp finely shredded orange peel
1 C chopped almonds

Preheat oven to 325◦ F.  Line two cookie sheets with parchment paper. (Better Homes and Gardens says to grease the cookie sheets, but I have found the parchment paper makes life much easier.) Combine dry ingredients.  Place eggs and egg yolks in a well in the dry ingredients and combine. (I use my KitchenAid mixer for all the steps and it works wonders.) Add melted butter and orange peel.  When dough forms a ball, add almonds and mix until combined.

On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into three equal loaves – about 12 -14 inches long. Place these on cookie sheets leaving about three inches between loaves.  Flatten to about 1 ½ inch wide.  Bake for 25 minutes and let cool on cookie sheets for about 15 minutes.

When loaves are cool transfer them to a cutting board.  Using a serrated knife cut ½ to ¾ inch wide diagonal strips. Return the slices to a cookie sheet placing the on their sides.  Cook for 10 minutes, Trun over and cook for another 10 – 15 minutes.  Let cool. 

A gift of biscotti coupled with a gourmet hot chocolate will always please the recipient!

I will share the recipe for Double Chocolate Biscotti next week.  If you simply cannot wait that long, message me and I will oblige!
 
Find more of my favorite recipes HERE.

Happy Running!
 

2 comments:

  1. These sound wonderful, Carol! It was lovely getting to meet you at the ICAN Writer's Event in November! :)
    I hope you'll come visit my blog if you get a chance -- LifeBellissima.com
    ~ Anna

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank You, Anna! Love your blog! I hope you are moving forward with your writing goals. It's easy to get sidetracked this time of year. I have to remind myself that there are times and seasons for everything! Have a Happy Christmas!

      Delete