Wednesday, June 13, 2012

I got a WIN!


 
I got a win!  Not the kind you are thinking of.  Many years ago some friends and I attended a “positive thinking” seminar.  I thought most of it was bogus, but I do remember one thing I brought away from it.  The instructor told us to list our “Wins.”  Wins were defined as:  Something positive that happens to you that day.  For instance, you find a great parking spot – you got a win!  Your favorite running shoes went on sale – you got a win.  And so forth. My friends and I hung on to that thought and when we had something positive to share we prefaced it with, “I got a win!”
Here is my win. 

An old school mate of mine, now a friend on Facebook, asked for running advice!  Advice from me?  I’m just an old running grandma.  But then, she is probably a grandma, too, and we have our own little concerns when it comes to taking up hobbies like running.  What if it hurts?  What if I can’t do it?  What if somebody sees me and thinks, “What is that old lady doing?”  What if it kills me!

I’m grateful she felt like she could ask and that I would have something to offer.  I’m grateful that I did have some bits of wisdom I have accumulated since beginning to run 4 ½ years ago.  Here are a couple of them.

  • Just start – Even if you only go a few hundred yards that is farther than you ran yesterday.
  • Good Shoes – A must!
  • Running buddies – There is nothing more helpful.
  • Music – If there are no running buddies to be had.
  • RICE – Rest.  Ice.  Compression.  Elevation.
I’m excited to see her progress, and … I am grateful that she is the one just beginning this journey and not me!

Question: Have you been able to offer advice and encouragement to someone because you have already travelled the road?  How did that make you feel?

HAPPY RUNNING!

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment