Thursday, April 28, 2016

Running to Increase Physical Endurance on the Ski Hill


http://runninggrannygreen.blogspot.com/p/running-motivation.html


Running increases physical endurance. This increased endurance will benefit many aspects of your life by improving your ability to maintain activity and delay fatigue. Think of your favorite pastimes. From water-skiing and snow skiing to baking with the grandkids and hiking a mountain trail, your favorite hobbies will benefit from regular running. Fatigue is an enemy to us all. It can stop our fun or stop us in our tracks. Increased physical endurance gained through running will manifest itself in your ability to walk farther, play longer, and enjoy everyday activities more fully.

My favorite ski buddy!
I run to ski. I belong to a family of skiers and it appears that we will be skiing for a long time. The grandkids are embracing the sport and I want to be able to enjoy it with them for a long time.


When performed well, snow skiing appears effortless. It is not. While it requires strength in the lower body, skiing isn’t all about the legs. In fact, much of skiing is about endurance and a lot about technique. When I get tired my technique worsens. Fatigue brings on bad habits. Bad ski habits bring on danger and the opportunity for injury. (Read about one such experience HERE.) I have discovered that the more I run, the longer I can ski without fatigue. The longer I ski, the more I improve my technique and the less likely I am to experience an injury. The longer I can remain injury free, the longer I will be able to enjoy skiing with my grandchildren.

My skiing family!

Snow skiing is just one of my motivators for running to increase physical endurance. It's only one, but I think it's a pretty good reason. On days when it seems too difficult to lace up my shoes and get out the door, I can remind myself that I run to ski with my family and that may be all the motivation I need.
How has running helped you increase physical endurance? I would like to hear about it in the comments below.

Happy Running!
- Carol aka Running Granny Green
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

No comments:

Post a Comment