Thursday, January 21, 2016

Guest Blogger: Nikki shares her Word of the Year

Guest Blogger, Nikki, is back today with an idea for making your New Year a success.  Nikki is an entrepreneur and owner of Bedhead Designs.  She is a homeschool mom who volunteers in her church and community. She recently helped her husband (and kids) remodel a very old and broken home. Thanks, Nikki, for taking time to share your thoughts with us!




Do you set New Year’s goals? I often set them…and come mid-February, I have forgotten all about them! Last year, I heard about a word of the year, and I thought it was brilliant! I could remember one word all year! Haha!

I hadn’t picked a word yet for this year.  I had all but given up because I hadn’t found one that felt right. Then, I read this amazing article. It’s called A Vow to 'Soften', So Your Loved Ones Can ShineSoften.  It spoke to my very core! Soften seemed to settle right in. When I thought the word, I felt myself letting go, softening.

One of my favorite lines in the article is: “I felt myself being less of a controlling manager and more of a peaceful nurturer. As my inner barriers weakened, my ability to respond more lovingly, more patiently, and more openly grew.” My children are homeschooled.   I love it, but it’s very time consuming, and can be frustrating when you are all things to everyone all the time! I feel this word, soften, is just the inspiration I need to be the mother, the woman, I want to be.  It’s easy to keep one word in the front of my mind. I can see it there, and when I’m interacting throughout the day, it can help guide me. I also plan to think of the things I CAN do. I’m so done with trying to ‘stop’ doing things. It is so hard to STOP, but it’s much easier to DO.  I can soften my tone.  I can take the time.  I can encourage.  I can be there. See how much better that feels? It’s really quite freeing!

This year will be my year to soften my rough edges and to make sure my loved ones know by deed, first, then word, that I love them.  I invite you to try a ‘word of the year’.  I think you will find it a great way to make positive changes in a softer, gentler way. (see, it’s right on the tip of my tongue!)

Follow Nikki @bedheaddesigns on Instagram and visit her Etsy shop!

Read Nikki's previous guest posts
Sharing Traditions
Follow Your Dreams


Visit my Guest Blogger page to get to know all my blogging friends.

Happy Running!
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook and Instagram.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Nikki for your words of wisdom and encouragement!!

    ReplyDelete