Tuesday, August 2, 2016

When the Pipes Rise up to Meet You – Just Run!


Hurdles? Anyone?

I’ve been reading, listening, and striving to improve my blog. While I am seeing an increase in my readership and I like the overall presentation better, sometimes it isn’t joyful. Not that everything in life should be joyful. Without adversity we would lack opportunities for true growth and we would not recognize true joy. Today, however, I am blogging for fun, because it brings me joy!

It’s not unlike running. Running is not always joyful. In fact, running is often painful, exhausting, and even dreaded. Yes, sometimes I dread the run. It’s too hot, cold, early, late, or far. I’m too tired, old, hungry, weak, or uninterested. Something hurts. (Oh that’s right, something always hurts!) I have learned that those obstacles which we conquer can be means by which we discover joy.

I have been preparing for the Grand Teton Relay. Even the name of this event brings me joy as I grew up in the shadows of those majestic peaks. My running buddy, Kelli, who had been missing in action for a while, joined me a few weeks ago. Kelli is faster, stronger, younger (Wait! All my running buddies are younger!) and more determined than I. It has been good for me. I am feeling stronger and I truly enjoy her company. She has brought more joy to the run.

That’s Kelli in the photo at the top of this post. Yesterday we encountered some obstacles on our run. We chose a route that wound through some farm fields. We had not been on the route for some time, but we had a plan. As we rounded the end of a potato field we discovered rows of sprinkler pipes crossing our path. We had to make a quick decision. Should we turn around and adjust our route or move ahead, hopping over the pipes and adjusting our stride along the way? Our quick decision was to move forward. We dodged mud and hopped over pipes for nearly half a mile. We did not anticipate the distance nor did we expect to have a lot of fun – but we did. We became stronger and we found joy as we conquered those unexpected obstacles!

Now that I have had some fun on my blog today, I’m going to get back to studying and striving to improve. Here are a few more joyful posts for you!
Tuesday's Training Tip: Find the Joy
Guest Blogger: Paulee makes decorating easy
Guest Blogger: Jennifer shares some thoughts on happiness

Thanks for stopping by and remember, when the pipes rise up to meet you - just run!

Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!

Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment