Monday, May 11, 2015

Burned Cookies, Running Stores and Breakfast in Bed

Huckleberry Croissant French Toast
Last week was a busy one – so busy in fact that I burned a batch of cookies! I paid two visits to two running stores, and was pampered with a delicious breakfast in bed (well, almost) for Mother’s Day! 

Uh-oh!
Those that know me or follow me on Facebook also know that I bake a lot of cookies.  In some ways it is a coping skill, but truthfully, I love to bake cookies and I love to share them. I also love to eat them!  I believe these things about cookie baking ...

a) Offerings of food show love, and
b) Service, aka cookie baking, has a way of lifting ones spirit, and
c) as Ralph Waldo Emerson put it, “That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do, not that the nature of the thing has changed but that our power to do has increased.” 
That’s why I am a great cookie baker!  However, I did get a little distracted this week and this was the result!
What is the lesson?  Pay attention to the task at hand.
I visited two running stores and I didn’t walk out of either with new shoes. That required much self-control! I had the pleasure of visiting Pocatello Running Co. for the first time this week. I have noticed that Poky has a growing running community and I am excited that they now have a running specialty store, as well. Be assured I will be directing all my running and walking friends in that corner of the state to pay a visit to Pocatello Running Co. Give them some love and follow them on Facebook.  I will be visiting again in July for a book signing event to promote The Hard Run. I am looking forward to catching up with some old and new friends. I was so excited about the store that I forgot to take photos!  However, I did snap this shot of McKee’s Pet, Garden and Feed Centers!  I know someone there who likes to run!
Shoes at Shu's!
My second visit was to Shu’s Idaho Running Co. where I was fortunate to spend a few hours at a book signing on Saturday.  In addition to selling some books, I witnessed many happy faces as they walked out of the store with new running shoes!  I was tempted to do the same, but I really am not in the market right now.  My newest pair of Asics have not logged enough miles to warrant another pair!  Thanks to Mike and the gang for a warm welcome and a fun afternoon! Give them a follow, too!
Sunday. Mother’s Day. Breakfast in bed.  And see by the photo that this fancy breakfast prepared by my husband may have been a little messy in bed – however, he did prepare it while I slept in! It’s a variation of a French Toast recipe from OurBestBites.  He added huckleberries (my favorite) to the filling and topped it with fresh huckleberry syrup.  Notice the orchid garnish? He also fixed dinner and dessert and presented me with a coupon for a massage with this therapist. The kids all called to wish me a Happy Mother’s Day and I received chocolates at church!  It was a great way to top off a busy week.
It’s Monday now and I am back to my usual Monday tasks – lawn mowing, correspondence, lab work, and laundry – and I am looking forward to another busy week of writing, running, and of course, cookie baking. No more breakfast in bed! Have a Happy Monday!
Happy Running!

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment