Monday, July 24, 2017

Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Bites



I’m currently training for a relay race, Spokane to Sandpoint 2017. Part of the prepping for race weekend is preparing food, or fuel, for the race. I’ve learned that it is unwise to add too many new foods to your diet right before or during any race. Race day is not a good time to learn that your insides don’t appreciate the foods you are giving them!
These protein bites, or energy bites, are one of my go to fuels for race weekend or anytime I need something quick and power packed. I keep a few in my refrigerator and often grab a couple 30-60 minutes before my morning run. They give me just enough protein and carbs to keep me going without being heavy or unkind to my digestive tract. And … they taste good!

Peanut Butter Chocolate Protein Bites

¾ C creamy peanut butter
1/3 C honey
1 ½ C old fashioned oats (I like to grind them into a course flour for this recipe)
1 scoop chocolate protein powder
1/3 C semi-sweet chocolate pieces



Combine the peanut butter and honey in a mixer. Add the protein powder and beat well. Add the oats and chocolate chips until evenly combined. Form into balls – about 1.5 tablespoons. Store in a zipper bag in the refrigerator or freezer.


These ingredients are my favorite, but don’t be afraid to experiment with different kinds of grains and seeds or protein powder flavors. Just be sure to test them out before race day. Chia and flax seeds, although great for fueling, can be a little aggressive, so do your experimenting well before race weekend.

You might also like this Chocolate Berry Breakfast Smoothie recipe.


More recipes from Running Granny Green.

Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!

Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment