Tuesday, July 25, 2017

I could hardly walk and now I run!


My amazing relay team!
The human body is an amazing creation. It’s ability to endure injury and repair itself is nothing short of miraculous. Even while sporting scarring evidence of pain and imperfection, it often grows stronger as it heals the wound. What other things in nature can claim the same?

Twenty-three years ago today I could hardly walk. My mid-section had just been sliced open to deliver my third child – a little boy with stick up hair and long feet. He still has stick up hair and long feet. As I stood and willed my legs to move, I recognized the familiar sensation that my insides might actually fall out in front of me. I expressed that feeling to a physician once and he replied, “Just walk backwards and you won’t step on anything!” I’m quite certain I held my breath for the first few steps.

Over the following several days my walks grew longer and quicker as my incision healed and I regained my strength. I soon resumed normal activity. The limitations of those first few days faded and life carried on.

My boys
A few years ago, ten to be exact, I once again found myself facing a physical challenge. I began to run. I thought I was too old, but a friend encouraged me and so I tried. I have since participated in many races with half marathons being my longest. I even coach middle school cross country runners. I don’t know that I will ever attempt a marathon. My favorite race is a relay (about 200 miles) with my team of twelve. I enjoy the comradery and shared misery unique to an overnight endurance challenge. I rejoice that my body will allow me to participate.

Walking seemed almost insurmountable when I was younger and had just given birth with the aid of a surgeon. Now I run, because I can. Yes, it seemed insurmountable at first. No, it isn’t easy and it isn’t always fun, but my body can do it. This body that has years and miles, wounds and scars, heartaches and joys, can run! I think that is miraculous and I am grateful that I am so blessed! I bet you are, too.



What can your body do that once seemed insurmountable? I would love to hear about it.

Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!

Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment