Tuesday, April 14, 2015

Tuesday's Training Tip: Eat on the Run


This Tuesday Training Tip discusses fuel and the importance of learning to eat on the run.  When I began running at the age of 47, I could not drink within 45 minutes of a run. I ran first thing in the morning. I certainly couldn’t eat before a run and I never dreamed of eating during a run! Experience has taught me a few things.

As I began to embrace fun run opportunities, I learned that it was important to fuel before a race if you had any hopes of completing the race. Longer races require fueling during the run.  I would suggest practicing or training to eat on the run by fueling during your long run workouts. 

·         Try fueling on runs or workouts longer than an hour.  Eat something every 20-30 minutes.

·         Mimic race day water stops and fueling opportunities by studying the course and mapping your workout accordingly.

·         Try different fueling options on several long runs to find what works best for you. Experiment with gels, chews, and granola or dried fruits to discover your personal preference.

·         The best fuel is the one that agrees with you. Here are some of my favorites.

It will be tricky at first, but with practice you can learn to eat on the run and avoid hitting the wall or bonking on race day.


Tune in every Tuesday for more training tips and visit my Training Tips page to find all the tips you may have missed.
Question: Do you have a favorite workout fuel you would like to share?
 
Happy Running!
 
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook!
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment