Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Sciatica: The treatment continues


My Happy Place
I have been diligently doing my best to treat a nagging case of Sciatica (mine) with stretching, Ibuprofen, ointments, rest, and clam shell exercises.  It wasn’t improving so I decided to call in the big guns! I had my first legitimate therapeutic massage today. 
I have long been leery of massage, mostly because I am ticklish. I even bypassed the free foot massages at the finish line of some of my favorite races – until the GrandTeton Relay. My teammate coerced me and I succumbed. I was immediately fond of the lady working on my ankles and feet. I would have brought her home if I could.
So … I messaged my friend, Raquel, and asked for more info yesterday. Today I had my first therapeutic massage. There was not any giggling going on!  Her elbow jammed into my left hip.  My heel touched my derriere. The massage oil smelled like a medicine cabinet belonging to a geriatric. I had to go to my happy place a time or two. It hurt so good!
Thus far, my left hip is not hurting. I can walk across the room or all around Costco without stopping to do a standing figure four stretch. I believe there is hope of recovery. That is important because I am writing a book about running and I think it would be a good selling point if I were still actually a runner! I am looking forward to an evening stroll to test the waters a bit. She told me she could fix it. I think I am a believer.
My take on therapeutic massage? Go for it!

Meet Raquel, my massage therapist.

Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!

Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment