Tuesday, October 2, 2012

The Underwater Window: A Review


A few weeks ago I was approached about doing some publicity for The Underwater Window by Dan Stephenson which I did here.  I was also asked if I would like to review the book and share it on one of my blogs.  Although I was flattered, I was also hesitant. I wanted to read the book before giving it my stamp of approval.  (There is a lot of junk out there!) One might wonder why I am using this blog as a vehicle rather than my creative writing blog, CMGWrites. Here are my reasons:

I am a swimmer. The Underwater Window is a work of fiction featuring swimmers and relationships.

I am a runner. Runners experience similar pain (minus the oxygen depletion) that swimmers experience.

I am a little bit competitive. The competition described in Dan Stephenson’s book made my heart race and my arms and legs ache as I read about it.  It is very well written.  Of course, it may have helped when I remembered my own swim racing experiences. (They were not very stellar.)

I believe that experience in physical things brings us strength in mental and spiritual things.  This book supports those beliefs.

Did I mention that the book is well written?  Yes, I read for entertainment; however, I also read with a critical ear. Is this story believable? Are fragmented sentences used for effect or are they used so much that it is apparent the author has a grammatical weakness?  You get the drift.

The bottom line?  I loved The Underwater Window!  It had depth.  It had character development.  It had conflict resolution. Above all, it kept my interest and that can be a difficult thing to do! 

Way to jump into the deep end Mr. Stephenson!

Here are links to The Underwater Window website and Facebookpage.

Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!

Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment