Saturday, June 21, 2014

It must be a mind trick


Country running
We ran nine miles today as part of our training for the Fit for Life Half Marathon, but this post isn’t about the long run.  This post is about the short run.  I am beginning to believe the short run is as much about the mind as it is about recovery and speed work. Running is a mind trick.
The first mile of any run is always hard for me.  It takes that long to warm up and get into the groove of running, and from where I start, it is usually uphill.  Slow.  The second mile goes by quickly and then the short run is over!  The end of any run always feels good.
Two days ago we did a short, two-mile run.  Later in the day I found myself thinking, “I feel like I need to run farther.” I refrained.  After all, I’m on a training plan and I’m sticking to it quite faithfully.  A rest day followed the short run and by today, I was ready to settle in for the nine-miler. 
I suppose it’s a little about perspective. When training for a long race, the short run leaves me feeling like there is more to do.  As the long runs get longer the short runs do, too.  I find myself saying things like, “It’s only five miles.”  Only?  Really?  That’s quite far, but compared to 9 or 10 – not so much.

Don’t get me wrong.  I look forward to the short runs, especially those two-milers.  However, they leave me feeling just a bit unsatisfied, like an appetizer they are starters, getting me ready for the main course. It's a mind trick and that is good, because I need all the help I can get to ready me for those long runs.  Like I said, the end of any run always feels good, especially the long ones!

Question: Do you have a mind trick that helps you overcome difficult tasks?  Please share in the comments below.

Happy Running!

Follow me on Twitter and Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment