Monday, April 7, 2014

Warm weather running



Warm weather running, oh how I’ve missed you!  It’s like it happens overnight in the Treasure Valley.  One day I am layering on long sleeved shirts, sweatshirts, gloves and headbands, and just a weekend later I am running free in a short sleeved Tee. 
Freedom!

Well, except for the part where it is so warm that sweat stings my eyes as it drips from my brow and the cool down is actually a warm down.

I do enjoy a warm weather run.  I feel ten pounds lighter what with the absence of the sweatshirt and added warm gear.  My muscles don’t protest as much at the beginning of a warm run as they do during colder temps.  Slow as molasses?  Yes, I understand that expression. It is also easier for me to take time to stretch post-run.  When it is cold, I can’t wait to get indoors and into a hot shower!  While this feels absolutely divine, I would be better served to stretch a bit first.  Experience has taught me how important it is to stretch, but oh … that warm water calleth me!

I have to hurry to enjoy it, however.  You see, the seasons change quickly around here and soon I will be going for hot weather runs.  They are almost as challenging as cold weather runs, only opposite.  Instead of adding more layers I plant water bottles in strategic spots and rise early to avoid the heat.

Alas, I must be difficult to please, but I must keep running, and so I shall.  For now, I will bask in the comfort of moderate spring temperatures – at least until the wind comes or it rains.

Question: What weather conditions do you prefer for your outdoor exercise?

Happy Running!

No comments:

Post a Comment