Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Recover by Stretching After a Run



As a beginning runner it is important to recover by stretching after a run. One reason I run is that I am impatient. Running is the quickest way I can think of to get in a good workout. I have learned, however, that if I want to keep running, today and for years to come, I have to settle down and take time to stretch. When I neglect to incorporate stretching into my running and recovery I risk injury and an injury is sure to slow me down!


Among the benefits of stretching are:


•Injury prevention

•Relaxation

•Increased flexibility and balance

•Loosens tight muscles

•Time to reflect

Try some of these stretches and yoga poses from Runners World after your next walk or run or run/walk.

The latest research suggests that stretching should be done AFTER a workout when the muscles are warmed up. So avoid the temptation to flop in a chair immediately after your run. Take some time to cool down and stretch.  You will be less likely to sustain running injuries and your muscles will thank you.
Do you have a recovery tip that helps keep you healthy and on the move? Please share it in the comments below.

Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!

Carol - aka Running Granny Green

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.


No comments:

Post a Comment