Tuesday, November 6, 2018

Writing through November - or NaNoWriMo



I’m six days into NaNoWriMo and its really quite a challenge. For me, there isn’t a lot of writing that happens on the weekends. I have too many distractions on Saturday and I truly believe Sunday should be a day of rest from worldly (and wordy) pursuits. Weekday mornings seem to be my most productive time and yet I find a lot of things to interrupt the writing process. Things like …

Snow shoveling, (I live in Montana)

Laundry, (it never ends)

Social Media, (there might be something inspiring posted)

Housework, (not really. Only two people live in my house)

Snacks, (the Halloween candy is calling)

Doubt.

Can I really write 50,000 words in one month? I have several projects in process, so I don’t lack for material. That helps because, like I said, I am easily distracted.

I also get bogged down with self-editing. I spend a lot of time correcting punctuation and rearranging thoughts as I write. I have yet to learn to just spew forth words on paper and fix them later. That is not to say that there isn’t a lot of editing after the first draft. There is always plenty of editing. I suppose in the long run it doesn’t matter when the editing occurs, so long as the project gets finished and polished.

That’s the key for me. Completion of a writing project is validation for me. All those hours not cleaning, shoveling, baking, or eating are justified when the project is finished. Staying in my seat in the interim is the real challenge. When in the middle of a writing project it appears that I will never reach the end, I am tempted to put it on a shelf, store it in the back of my mind, and wait. Wait for what? The perfect time to write? The perfect motivation to write? The perfect photo to accompany my writing? The perfect audience? Oh, if only I could find that perfect audience!               

I think I nailed it yesterday with the help of a friend. I mentioned that I feel guilty and self-indulgent when I am writing. She asked why I felt that way. I formed an answer and verbalized it.

“Because writing does not have a guaranteed paycheck attached.”

Do my fellow writers ever feel that way? When a worker punches a time clock, he has confidence he will get paid for the time invested. Contracted workers are paid for the products they produce. Writers and artists work on speculation. First, they produce the product and then hope to get paid for their work. If there is no pay (here’s the tricky part) then the writer (me) might think she has spent all her time pursuing her own fun. Guilt follows! Oh, the conundrum!

Well, the sidewalk is shoveled, the laundry is under control, the house isn’t messy yet, and I don’t need to eat more Halloween candy! Those distractions are under control, but …

I think I hear the FedEx truck!

Have a great day my reading and writing friends!

For a view of some of my finished projects visit my Amazon Author Page


Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!
Happy Running!
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment