Friday, July 13, 2018

Is that a Bear!



Panorama of my out and back run
I expected to see a fair amount of wildlife upon moving to Montana, and I have not been disappointed. As bears, even grizzly bears, are often present in this part of the world, I have been a bit nervous to venture very far when I run. I like to think I am brave, but I have my limits. Bears are on my list of limitations!

I have committed to yet another relay this summer and so I must train. I use that term loosely, as training has been a bit difficult this year partly due to my move, a small injury, wind, and mostly – bears! I have not yet seen one, but I am certain they are just waiting to eat me!

I recently found myself on a run with my music in my ears, eyes upon the road, and feet pounding the pavement. As I had not yet seen a bear, I was confident and cautious. The longer I go without seeing a bear the less likely my chances of encountering one, right? Not only have I not encountered a bear, I have yet to find a running buddy in Montana. I hope I find a buddy before I find a bear.

Anyhow, back to the story …

I was about a mile into my planned long run when over my left shoulder I heard a commotion! Yes, I thought it might be a bear, just waiting along the roadside for me so that he might consume me for lunch! Startled, I did a kind of hopping motion to the middle of the road and gave a quick look over my shoulder.

Nothing.

All was still except for some irrigation water slowly flowing through a Montana ditch (larger than a Treasure Valley ditch but smaller than a canal). Relieved, I investigated further and discovered a kind of burrow about three feet above the water line. I resumed my run which was less than impressive. I think the quick surge of adrenaline and my investigative pause sabotaged the rest of my workout. Alas, I have a few sabotaged workouts of late.

The out and back course gave me an opportunity to look further into the mystery. Upon my return to the site, I could see something in the burrow. As I neared, a large fur bearing water mammal of some sort dove out of the burrow making a big splash in the ditch below and swimming swiftly under the bridge upon which I was standing. This was the same noise I had heard earlier. It sounded like my friends doing cannonballs off the diving boards at Lava Hot Springs! (Okay, perhaps not THAT loud.) As usual, I was slow to retrieve my camera and I missed the opportunity to photo document the experience. Here is a picture of the burrow.

The burrow or den
 When I returned to the refuge of my home, I Googled “mammals of Montana” and determined that it was merely a river otter diving for cover from this fierce runner lady!

Still, it startled me. And it COULD have been a bear.

I think I need a running buddy – badly!

Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!


Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green




Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment