Tuesday, August 18, 2015

He is in the Details


“Our Heavenly Father is aware of our needs and will help us as we call upon Him for assistance. I believe that no concern of ours is too small or insignificant. The Lord is in the details of our lives.” – Thomas S. Monson

This was reconfirmed to me recently as I was struggling with a personal obstacle.  I had prepared for many months in many ways to participate in the Grand Teton Relay. It is a team effort and I was the captain. My own physical preparation suffered as I fought a calf injury all summer.  It would improve some and then I would reinjure it. The most recent injury occurred only one week prior to the relay.

To say I was discouraged would be an understatement. I threw myself a pity party for a day!  I then realized that I needed to recover quickly, or in the very least I needed to improve my attitude so that I did not have a negative impact on the experience for my teammates.  Ideally, both of those things could occur.  I approached the problem in this way.

·         I had a good talk with myself about my attitude.

·         I humbled myself and requested a priesthood blessing, which I received on Sunday night.

·         I requested the prayers of friends, which they kindly offered.

·         I rested.  This was difficult because I knew I was not physically prepared for the distance, heat, and elevation.

·         I vowed to take it slowly if I were able to run at all. (This was not difficult due to my lack of training!)

·         I applied ice and heat and compression. I stretched and massaged my calf.

·         I prayed.

Participating was important to me, but I did not feel that it was something that would be important to the rest of the world.  For this reason, I thought perhaps it was not a worthy request to ask my Heavenly Father for a rapid healing – and then I remembered these words from a prophet of God,

 “I believe that no concern of ours is too small or insignificant. The Lord is in the details of our lives.”

I pressed forward in faith not knowing if I would be able to run or if I would have to impose upon my teammates to run my 15.5 miles.  By Wednesday I was no longer walking with a limp. When friends asked if I was going to be able to run I answered, “We will see.”  Friday morning I applied kinesio tape AND a compression sock – and I ran.

I ran!  It wasn’t my best performance, but that didn’t matter. What mattered to me was that I was able to participate! There is no way my injury should have improved as quickly as it did. It should have taken a minimum of 2-3 weeks. I asked for help and healing from my Heavenly Father and I received it. It was important to me and He was in the details of my life. I am grateful for that reinforced knowledge and I am grateful for the prayers of friends who also find themselves in the details of my life. Your love and support is noticed and appreciated!
 
Question: When have you noticed the Lord’s hand in your life?

Happy Running!

 
Follow me on Twitter and Facebook!

No comments:

Post a Comment