Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Tuesday's Training Tip: Learn to stretch

One reason I run is that I am impatient. Running is the quickest way I can think of to get in a good workout.  I have learned, however, that if I want to keep running I have to take time to stretch. I've got a little sciatic nerve (Okay, sciatic nerves are very large!) that bothers me when I forget to stretch.  If neglected too long, it becomes more than bothersome.

 
Try some of these stretches and yoga poses from Runners World after your next walk or run or run/walk.
 
Among the benefits of stretching are:
  • Injury prevention
  • Relaxation
  • Increased flexibility and balance
  • Loosens tight muscles
  • Time to reflect
The latest research says that stretching should be done AFTER a workout when the muscles are warmed up. Take some time to cool down and stretch.  Your muscles will thank you and so will that sciatic nerve.

Visit this page every Tuesday for more training tips! I would love to hear from you. Comment below or message me on Facebook.

Happy Running!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment