Friday, January 30, 2015

Food Friday: My Favorite Sugar Cookie Recipe


 
This is my recipe adapted from one I obtained from my sister.  It's been years, but I think I added more shortening. I never vary from Butter Flavor Crisco!  These almost melt in your mouth!  Make a batch for Valentine's Day!
 
Carol's Sugar Cookies
  • 1 C Butter Flavored Crisco
  • 1 C Granulated Sugar
  • 2 Eggs
  • 1/2 tsp Vanilla
  • 1 tsp Baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp Salt
  • 3 C Flour
Cream together shortening and sugar. Beat in eggs and vanilla. Blend in one cup of the flour. Add baking powder and salt and blend well. Add remaining flour - reserving about 1/4 cup for rolling dough. Mix well.

Dough will be soft. Do not refrigerate. Use remaining flour to keep dough from sticking while rolling out. Roll dough to 1/4 inch thick. Cut out cookies and bake in 400 degree oven for seven minutes. Do not allow edges to brown. Baking times may need to be adjusted.
Allow cookies to cool and decorate with your favorite frosting recipe. (Mine is in my head!  I just add ingredients until it looks and tastes right, but here are some things to help you...)

My Favorite Frosting Recipe

1/4 - 1/2 C butter, softened
1 tsp Vanilla
Powdered Sugar
Milk (about 1/4 cup)
Dash of salt

Cream butter and add vanilla.  I then begin adding powdered sugar and milk alternately until I have a fluffy white frosting. When I am happy with the consistency, I add a dash of salt. A seasoned southern belle once told me, "The salt makes the sweet sweeter."

Add food coloring and sprinkles - or not. It's really about what makes you happy!

Let them melt in your mouth!

Find more of my favorite recipes HERE.

Question: Do you have a holiday recipe to share?  Comment below.

Happy Running!

15 comments:

  1. Hi Carol,

    This recipe sound like it is absolutely delish! I have pinned it to a few boards of mine! ;-) I look forward to co-hosting the Oh My Heartsie Girls WW with you for the month of February!

    Wishing you a lovely evening!

    Much love,
    Lysa xx
    Welcome to My Circus!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks yummy...I haven't baked for a while and this recipe will be perfect to try with my daughter..thanks for sharing it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Indah! Little girls love these cookies. I have a set of "Princess" cutters that are all the rage! Don't forget the sprinkles!
      Thanks for stopping by my blog,
      Carol

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. Ugh! This is why I never comment.

      Delete
    5. Ugh! This is why I never comment.

      Delete
    6. That's okay. It makes my comments report look really busy!

      Delete
  3. Too cute. Have pinned these. Looking forward to being a co-host with you on Wordless Wednesday.
    Julie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julie, and thanks for stopping by my blog!

      Will keep in touch!

      Carol

      Delete
  4. Some of my friends say that they would rather not know anything about health food and how exactly they are eating because ignorance is bliss and enjoying food is more important than anything else. But I would say knowledge is power, that's what drives me to read and understand what healthy eating is all about, why some people become so interested in health food, and what convicts people want to change their lifestyle. is chinese food ok for diabetic

    ReplyDelete