Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Tuesday's Training Tip: Calories count!


If you are like me you often feel famished after a hard run or workout. You might even think that you have burned more calories than you actually did.  Don't make the mistake of overcompensating for calories burned.

The question is: How do you measure calories in vs. calories out?

The answer?  Use an app! 

My Fitness Pal has a calorie burn calculator that is easy to use.  Just plug in your activity, weight (I know, but it's a critical factor), and duration.  The calculator delivers calories burned.

If you want to get a little more involved, try Map My Run.  You can log in your food and activity and have a running total for the day.

Beyond being aware of your actual calorie burn, you can try hydrating after a workout and before emptying the snack drawer. DO NOT tell yourself, "I worked out. I deserve this ... slice of cake, ice cream cone, or chocolate bar." On the flip side, better to have burned a few calories before indulging than not at all!

Give calorie counting a try, at least until you get a feel for how many calories you really need for refueling. Let me know how it works for you!

Tune in every Tuesday for more training tips and visit my Training Tips page to find all the tips you may have missed.
Question: Do you have a training tip you would like to share?
Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!



Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green

Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram.

No comments:

Post a Comment