Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Waxing philosophical with Emerson



I’m going to wax philosophical today. This quote from Ralph Waldo Emerson has a permanent spot on my blog:
“That which we persist in doing becomes easier to do, not that the nature of the thing has changed but that our power to do has increased.”
Ralph Waldo Emerson
I have always considered this a motivational quote to encourage myself and others to keep trying. Staying on task helps one learn the skills needed to conquer the task. Recently it occurred to me that the same rule applies to negative activity.

“That which we persist in doing …” Do we persist in procrastinating? Do we persist in living a sedentary lifestyle? Do we persist in negative self-talk or holding a grudge?
Does negative activity become easier to do the longer we do it, therefore making it harder to create a positive change

Question: What are your thoughts about Emerson's observation? Does it hold true in both cases? Sound off in the comments below.
  
Happy Running!
Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Instagram!

2 comments:

  1. I whole-heartedly agree! It's true of both positive and negative things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank, Nikki! I thought I was on to something there.

    ReplyDelete