Monday, October 22, 2018

Back to Baking with Sourdough



I recently moved back to Montana and Returning to My Roots has presented some unique opportunities for growth. For one, I decided it was time to grow a Sourdough Start for a couple of reasons …

*It’s fun to try new recipes,

*Shopping is not as convenient as it once was,

*I hear sourdough is good for you (this may or may not be fact),

*It just feels like the right thing to do.

I began by searching for a sourdough starter recipe on Google. I chose this one. It only takes three ingredients: yeast, flour, and water. Note: I’m pretty sure my mom never posted anything online, but the author of this recipe has the same name!

I employed the services of my seldom used bean pot and a wooden spoon. Metal bowls and utensils will react in an unappealing manner with sourdough, so avoid them.

I couldn’t wait to jump right in by baking up these loaves of Sourdough Focaccia. The mix of sourdough, garlic, and rosemary baking in my oven creates an aroma that is irresistible! The bread tastes good, too!

Can't you just smell it?





I also tried these Buttery Sourdough Buns from King Arthur Flour and served them with homemade tomato soup. The soup recipe will follow soon. Yum!



Sourdough Huckleberry Pancakes are a special breakfast treat and so easy. No Huckleberries? No worries. Leave them out or substitute with another berry of your choice. 






If you decide to dive in to sourdough baking like I have, remember these simple tips:

*Use the sourdough often to keep it active.

*Don’t forget to save some start and feed it each time you bake.

*Use non-metallic utensils and bowls.

*And lastly, be courageous and try new things! (Advice from a Running Granny!) 


If you have a favorite Sourdough Recipe, I would live to hear about it in the comments below.

Running Granny Green encourages women, especially grandmothers, to gain greater fitness by providing tips and inspiration to insure long years of joyful grand-parenting. The cookie recipes are a bonus!

Happy Running!
Carol - aka Running Granny Green

No comments:

Post a Comment